Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 01:39 PM

Happy story - Blackburn customer service

I’m compelled to share with you the most extraordinary customer service experience I have ever had … ever. I was trying to salvage my aging but beloved Blackburn Piston 2 floor pump. I ordered the wrong pump head from their site. I was told with (sincere regret and empathy) by their customer service rep that I could not return it because I had opened the package and they could not resell it. I accepted that decision because it really was careless of me not to do more research. So I thanked her, assuming I would never hear from her again. Wrong. She wrote again later in the day asking for more information, pictures of my old pump, etc. I told her I was anxious to get back on the road and I would probably buy one of their newer pumps locally. This morning, our of the blue, she wrote to tell me that she is fixing the problem at no cost to me with a rather extraordinary solution. I was astonished. I told her that I would write to all my friends about Blackburn and that she had earned a lifetime Blackburn customer. So, I’m fulfilling my promise. I’ll be grinning the rest of the day.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2024, 01:53 PM

Yes, remarkable. I broke the handle on a floor pump and called to see if I could get a replacement handle to fix the pump. They asked me to send them a pic. I then received a reply that they did not sell handles, but that this failure was unexpected and they were sending a new pump. Excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-03-2024, 03:37 PM

May I ask what was the rather extraordinary solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorkevin View Post
I’m compelled to share with you the most extraordinary customer service experience I have ever had … ever. I was trying to salvage my aging but beloved Blackburn Piston 2 floor pump. I ordered the wrong pump head from their site. I was told with (sincere regret and empathy) by their customer service rep that I could not return it because I had opened the package and they could not resell it. I accepted that decision because it really was careless of me not to do more research. So I thanked her, assuming I would never hear from her again. Wrong. She wrote again later in the day asking for more information, pictures of my old pump, etc. I told her I was anxious to get back on the road and I would probably buy one of their newer pumps locally. This morning, our of the blue, she wrote to tell me that she is fixing the problem at no cost to me with a rather extraordinary solution. I was astonished. I told her that I would write to all my friends about Blackburn and that she had earned a lifetime Blackburn customer. So, I’m fulfilling my promise. I’ll be grinning the rest of the day.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2024, 04:05 PM

New pump -- The newer Core series to match the incorrect Core pump head.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:40 PM

Another data point. I had an old Blackburn floor pump that needed a a new washer, you know, the kind that locks on to the Presta valve. Blackburn no longer had that part available, but they honored their lifetime warranty and sent me a whole new (>$100 retail,) pump.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:53 AM

I had a very similar experience a few years back (TrackPump 1) and they didn't have parts and sent me a new pump.

I was chuffed too! Great customer service, and they have me as a lifetime customer for sure!!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ight=blackburn
Old 05-04-2024, 06:41 AM

I have also had pretty amazing service from Blackburn over the years, on lights and pumps.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:51 AM

says it all

https://www.blackburndesign.com/the-...urn-story.html

I've got one of their cheapy wallets ($10 on Amzn), never thought though about its warranty covering its wearing out.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:09 AM

And I am still using Blackburn racks that are almost 50 years old. So no warranty story to tell
Old 05-04-2024, 07:21 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I have also had pretty amazing service from Blackburn over the years, on lights and pumps.
Me too.