Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
T47 is really useful for metal frames, because it allows for more clearance for wider spindles and cables to run through the bottom bracket. For carbon frames where the area between the cups isn't just a cylinder, the only real advantage of t47 over BSA it allows for the use of short spindle 30 mm cranksets, but that's a pretty minor benefit, especially since those don't seem to be in production anymore.
The other advantage of T47 over BSA, which is being utilized by the new Aspero under discussion, is that it allows for a wider BB shell, which in turn allows for wider/fatter chainstays (or at least a wider left chainstay in the case of BBright).
Old 04-30-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The other advantage of T47 over BSA, which is being utilized by the new Aspero under discussion, is that it allows for a wider BB shell, which in turn allows for wider/fatter chainstays (or at least a wider left chainstay in the case of BBright).
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. My comment was in regards to outboard T47 vs BSA, as seemed to be the implementation in the post I was responding to.

Quote:
One *apparent* advantage of T47 is that it allows for 30mm spindles with larger OD bearings, which seems to have some "bearing" (pun intended) on bearing life. Anecdotally I have observed that T47 BB bearings seem to last longer with 30mm spindles than BSA30 BB bearings.
This is interesting, since in practice this seems to be true, but there's no practical constraint to the OD of outboard BSA bearings (though they might look a little funny).
Old 04-30-2024, 02:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
This is interesting, since in practice this seems to be true, but there's no practical constraint to the OD of outboard BSA bearings (though they might look a little funny).
Absolutely right - and I have a White Industries BSA30 BB that went the route the route of bulging outward, and it indeed looks a little funny.

When that BB wears out I want to try one of these: https://cycling.endurobearings.com/p...om-bracket-kit
Old 05-03-2024, 01:54 PM

Wait, 3rd generation per BikeRumor? Did I miss the 2nd generation Aspero? I'm confused.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahyow View Post
Wait, 3rd generation per BikeRumor? Did I miss the 2nd generation Aspero? I'm confused.
Aspero 5.

As an owner of an Aspero, the new one is meh. Don't need any wider tires, dt storage would be nice.......looking at Argon 18 Krypton Pro or Enve Fray.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:50 PM

Ahh forgot about the Aspero5. Thanks Zap!