Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Anyone else buy the "Ridenow" TPU tubes off Aliexpress? I've never ordered from that site. Would def. give 'em a whirl if they're any good at 6 bucks a pop or so. Sure beats Tubolito at 35 (+/-). THere's another brand on there, forget the name, but they're green TPU. Seems ridenow has 2 diff. versions also, one at 36gr. and another at 24 gr.
i've switched over all of my inner tubes to Ridenow for a few months now.
i also have 2 tubolito in a couple wheels. no discernible difference
i've had a few pinholes and patched them without issue
this is on rim brake carbon wheels.
i'm considering going TPU on my 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.0 wheels

36g is for wider tires, 24g for road width up to 28mm
aliexpress is kind of difficult at first to interpret and navigate

but i'm a convert
Old 05-08-2024, 07:01 PM

i just switched all my wheels to TPU tubes from tpubiketubes.com. I went with them because the owner quickly answered all my questions. I don’t have many miles yet, but they installed fine, although I did manage to puncture one through clumsiness on install. But in all fairness, I probably would have punctured a latex tube at the same point.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:11 AM

TPU user here for the past 3 seasons. Had latex first, then moved to TPU. Of all my bikes, only my gravel is tubeless. All else are tubed.

Patching is not a problem at all, takes no time, and it works. If not, you can purchase a set of 5 tubes at AliExpress for $35 shipped, so $ isn't a vetoing issue.

One problem I had that I learned from, is DO NOT use CO2 on TPU tubes. The cold air will cause mini fissures on the plastic, and you'll keep getting flats. Other than that, only upsides. Get them, you won't be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
Has anyone switched their whole fleet to TPU Inner tubes?

Seems like there are some reasonably priced options now.

Other than needing a specific patch and that patching takes 30min, what are the other downsides?
Old 05-09-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
TPU user here for the past 3 seasons. Had latex first, then moved to TPU. Of all my bikes, only my gravel is tubeless. All else are tubed.

Patching is not a problem at all, takes no time, and it works. If not, you can purchase a set of 5 tubes at AliExpress for $35 shipped, so $ isn't a vetoing issue.

One problem I had that I learned from, is DO NOT use CO2 on TPU tubes. The cold air will cause mini fissures on the plastic, and you'll keep getting flats. Other than that, only upsides. Get them, you won't be sorry.
What do you do if you get a flat during a ride?

*Not being a smartass, I'm genuinely curious
Old 05-09-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainNoise View Post

No worries.

I carry a mini pump and spares. Simple. After my issues with CO2, I trashed the affected tubes and haven't had flats since. Actually, I did once during the winter on my winter bike as I hit a rock at speed (my buddy didn't call it out). The winter bike is steel so it has a peg for a frame pump. Swapping tubes was a breeze, just like reg butyl tubes.

Mini pumps have come a LOOONG way so I'm fine as is. Get your TPU tubes, man.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:50 AM

love them, everything we have is on them save for the gravel bikes on tubeless I have not had an issue with installation and noticed a much improved ride over butyl. Tried latex and lost two on install the other day so, TPU seems to be my best bet.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:

This is what I use. Pump will fill 3 28c from 0 to 80 psi whith capacity left over. It is lighter than 2 16g cartridges and injecter, or my Tattico pump.

Tubes I have been using Cyclami with metal valves, no issues on 3 bikes.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post

I wonder if this was my problem. I carry a mini pump, so I’ll be sure to use it in the future.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
This is what I use. Pump will fill 3 28c from 0 to 80 psi whith capacity left over. It is lighter than 2 16g cartridges and injecter, or my Tattico pump.

Tubes I have been using Cyclami with metal valves, no issues on 3 bikes.

Tell me more about that pump. Does it reliably work? Never seen one before.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:27 AM

I just installed Cyclami to give them a whirl and see. I thought I read that this brand was more suitable for use with C02? Metal valve stem...??

any experience or am I making this up? C02 is last resort for me just trying to understand all this.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I just installed Cyclami to give them a whirl and see. I thought I read that this brand was more suitable for use with C02? Metal valve stem...??

any experience or am I making this up? C02 is last resort for me just trying to understand all this.
Jan Heine (Rene Herse) says no. His TPU tubes have a metal valve stem.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:03 PM
Pack fill

Quote:

Since I get a flat or maybe 2 a year I carry a butyl tube and co2 in case of a flat. When I get home change the butyl out for a new TPU tube. I have lots of butyl around since replacing them with TPU. I also like co2 since I have never had a bad experience using it. Installing TPU is a little trickier and butyl is more forgiving along the road side.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
Since I get a flat or maybe 2 a year I carry a butyl tube and co2 in case of a flat. When I get home change the butyl out for a new TPU tube. I have lots of butyl around since replacing them with TPU. I also like co2 since I have never had a bad experience using it. Installing TPU is a little trickier and butyl is more forgiving along the road side.
Yeah but the main selling point of TPU (along with weight) is that it folds/rolls up into a small volume so it's ez to stash in a seat bag or back pocket, unlike a butyl tube.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yeah but the main selling point of TPU (along with weight) is that it folds/rolls up into a small volume so it's ez to stash in a seat bag or back pocket, unlike a butyl tube.
This is the dilemma, because at least some manufacturers seem to say that CO2 is bad for TPU. So, no CO2 means carrying a pump that won't kill me trying to get to 90psi. I have a mini-pump, but it really is for emergencies and only if I've already used the 1-2 cartridges I usually also carry. I don't particularly like the idea of getting a larger frame pump in order to be able to carry TPU tube(s). Seems self-defeating from a weight/bulk standpoint.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:11 PM

my tattico pumps up my 700x32 to at least 75psi with relative ease. I have a Schwalbe aerothan that has been patched for about 2000 miles now without leaking. I swapped tires the other day and went ahead and reused the tube. I did finally get tired of the cores wanting to loosen up and put a drop of super glue on the threads and they seem to be holding tight.