Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 07:13 PM

I dunno. I've had situations with CO2 where by the time I knew something wasn't kosher the cart was useless. This is different.
It does need charging, but only every couple weeks. The light is VERY conservative as to the charge state.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:05 PM

I’ve used the cut plus for a few months now
First the basic one and now the pro
I prefer the pro with the gauge and charging status display.
I have pumped up two 30mm tires to 75 psi with some left to top off a friends tire. It takes about 1.5 minutes for that and it is noisy.
I have a co2 and spare tube on every bike but toss this in my pocket for rides and use it instead of the co2.
It does seem to hold a charge for a while although i would be hesitant to put it in a saddle bag and forget about it for weeks at a time. It’s small enough to not be bothersome in your pockets.
I don’t have any tubeless setups so I don’t know how it would work on that.
Like a mini pump it is nice to be able to top off a slow leak if you are close to home without have to shoot your one co2 shot. To me it is more effective that mini pumps that fit in pockets and the gauge is nice to have
Big fan so far

Ryun
Old 05-07-2024, 08:23 PM

Should we be at all worried with these unbranded batteries catching fire while charging inside the house?
Old 05-08-2024, 07:21 AM

Wonder if someone could hack a Di2 post battery for recharge? Or an ebike with this built in.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:09 AM

For those of us using tubeless, I'm assuming these might not be a great idea? I'm thinking that if I am repairing a tubeless flat, that means I'm putting a tube in, and will need a powerful enough blast of air (C02 cartridge...) to get the tubeless tire bead to re-seat?
Old 05-08-2024, 08:42 AM

Those of you on tubeless are you on a goldi-locks tire size + pressure that it's going to work? The safety margin of "oops there is still a leak" is what is scary.

It's just interesting, if this is such a concern is something else you can be doing to reduce the # of flats.

They are still so rare for me it's super hard to be concerned about the amount of time it takes to pump up the tire with a pump, and everything to do with today's lower pressures has made it easier to re-inflate with a pump.

I haven't really thought about it, but my flats dropping off to basically nothing post 2010 probably has more to do with the increase in tire sizes and decreases in pressure than anything else. Reading this thread is the first time I really thought about it. With 23c back in the day and my body weight (upper 160s to 180) I was always near the upper end of the pressure range on my tires. And those higher pressures (112-116psi) probably meant more flats and made it much harder to get the tire back to a safe pressure. Most of my flats were on weekday 1-hour rides and I would have just headed for home after fixing the flat cause I would have been concerned the tire wasn't quite at full pressure.

My Trek Domane I have literally never had a flat*. It's been on S-Works Turbo 26c since the day I bought it in 2016. With tubes I run about 80-85psi in the back and 60-65psi in the front. So easy to just leave the most weight weenie mini pump on there and never worry about anything. That bike has seen plenty of bad roads and dirt roads. I am thinking about changing it to 28c or 30c this year FWIW.

* = I did once embarassingly flat a tube changing a tire on that bike in the garage. IIRC I got a set of Mavic Yksium tires free and they were hard to mount. I rode them for like a week and then took them off...
Old 05-08-2024, 10:24 AM

I haven’t had a single total flat in the last three years since moving to higher volume tubeless tires(38-40mm on road) and 2.3-2.4 mtb. Sealant or plugs always fixes it. Once I got a workout with my oneup components pump trying to fix a burped sidewall on the mtb but even it sealed eventually. It tests at half the strokes for a higher volume gravel tire vs it’s closest competition like silca gravel hand pump.

A pump works for me…don’t bother carrying around wasteful c02 or see the need of an electric pump.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-08-2024 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I haven’t had a single total flat in the last three years since moving to higher volume tubeless tires(38-40mm on road) and 2.3-2.4 mtb. Sealant or plugs always fixes it. Once I got a workout with my oneup components pump trying to fix a burped sidewall on the mtb but even it sealed eventually. It tests at half the strokes for a higher volume gravel tire vs it’s closest competition like silca gravel hand pump.

A pump works for me…don’t bother carrying around wasteful c02 or see the need of an electric pump.
I borrowed one of those OneUp pumps from a passing rider when I got a flat on my mtb in the woods... I couldnt believe how good it worked! Meant to buy one, but then life stuff happened.... How do you like it? long term.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
For those of us using tubeless, I'm assuming these might not be a great idea? I'm thinking that if I am repairing a tubeless flat, that means I'm putting a tube in, and will need a powerful enough blast of air (C02 cartridge...) to get the tubeless tire bead to re-seat?
Inflating a tube in a tubeless tire will seat it like a normal tire.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:23 AM

Like others I carry a CO2 and minipump.
CO2 isn't really needed in theory since I now inflate my tires to 65 psi.
This is a nice idea, but I rarely get a flat and like already mentioned worrying about if it is charged or not makes it not ideal for me.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminglin View Post
Inflating a tube in a tubeless tire will seat it like a normal tire.
Ah OK thx! I am new to tubeless, just got the tires on, haven't even added sealant yet. Gonna go with regular orange seal, in Conti 5000 tubeless 28mm, on Bontrager RSL wheels.

I do almost all my riding indoors, so when it comes to this 'flat kit' stuff, I'm really thinking about Ironman / 70.3 triathlons, where I need to be self sufficient and would prefer to not be on the side of the road waiting 3 minutes for a pump to work when a C02 would take seconds, lol.

As of right now, my emergency flat kit will likely consist of a tpu tube, dynaplug thingy, tire lever, and C02/inflator head.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I bought a larger one (fumpa) to use for travel and it inflates incredibly quickly on both gravel and mtb tires, but doesn’t work on my reserve tubeless valves at all, and works so-so with 76 projects.

The battery has been dead about half the time I think to use it.

It is also noisy and scares our pets. I’m all for new tech and gadgets but this one didn’t stick with me. it’s for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants it after this positive feedback
They are a bit noisy that's a true statement. But I won't be using a mini pump, wanking that thing off for 5 minutes on the side of the road, no thanks!

The pump I picked up if you press the inflate button once it will give you state of charge without activating the pump. So far I charged it once since I got it and still shows a full charge going on 3 weeks now.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:53 AM
Vendor

Dunno about the Cycplus, but I use the Fumpa Nano pump and it's been great.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I borrowed one of those OneUp pumps from a passing rider when I got a flat on my mtb in the woods... I couldnt believe how good it worked! Meant to buy one, but then life stuff happened.... How do you like it? long term.
It is the best hand pump I’ve ever used, bar none. It takes significantly less effort to pump a high volume tire compared to others, sticks on any valve I’ve used with no drama and has versatile options to holds tools inside potentially eliminating the need for a saddle bag or use it like I do as storage for emergency items. It mounts under a bottle cage and disappears when not needed. I’ve had it for a few years now.

It also has a pleasant tactile feel and does wonders to remove grit and grime from your hands when, say, you are remote camping. It files fingernails and can be used as a weapon in a pinch