Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I cancel my account each March, and start back up in December.

At $20 a month it’s still worth it to me.
I thnk that's what I'm about to do too. I haven't touched Zwift in over 2 months, but I'm still paying... :|
Old 05-07-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I thnk that's what I'm about to do too. I haven't touched Zwift in over 2 months, but I'm still paying... :|
There was a time when I forgot I had zwift and stopped riding for almost 2 years. Realized that I had been paying for it the entire time. Oof...

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think I have a few free months of wahoo's app, but I used to use that and zwift together, but now I don't really know.

I spend a fair amount of time on zwift because I like being able to squeeze a 30-90 min 'ride' in without having to leave the house. If I have more time than that, I prefer getting outside if possible.

All these subs add up for sure though. I'm going to look into the other stuff to see if I can stomach it vs zwift. I don't do the races or group rides, though I've ended up on a group ride on zwift and it definitely motivated me to work harder.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I don't do the races or group rides, though I've ended up on a group ride on zwift and it definitely motivated me to work harder.
The group rides are my favorite events. Basically a fondo where you mass start and find 'your group'. Compared to the races which are an FTP-test-fest from the gun and not fun at all IMO.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The group rides are my favorite events. Basically a fondo where you mass start and find 'your group'. Compared to the races which are an FTP-test-fest from the gun and not fun at all IMO.
Yeah, I think I might start doing those again. I used to like riding the trainer on erg mode to do intervals, but the last time I did that it really flared up my achilles...

I've been looking into mywhoosh as well, but the 'free' part is a bit strange to me. I.e. when you don't pay for something like this turns out you're the product!
Old 05-07-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I've been looking into mywhoosh as well, but the 'free' part is a bit strange to me. I.e. when you don't pay for something like this turns out you're the product!

how do you think zwift started
Old 05-07-2024, 04:10 PM

I liked Zwift when I still used it, but realized that I wasn’t getting much training gains with it, and for that price I jumped ship to Trainerroad. It is a good social virtual riding platform if people value that.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:01 PM

I have been on zwift for I would guess about 5 years now or so...kinda funny tho, 3 times this week I log on and it won't recognize my trainer...my same old kickr trainer...so after about ten minutes each time of trying to get it to work, I head over to the mywhoosh app which is free...each time it found my trainer within about a second...bad timing for zwift but then to get the price increase email this morning....nope, all done.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:11 PM

I joined back in 2016 and have been steady since then. It’s better now, by far, and I find value in having it even though it can be tedious. I like it being there.

My package is an annual one so $16.67/month, which I find reasonable.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:12 PM
Back At It!

for all of the folks who are saying they cancel and them restart, why don't you just pause your account? that's what I do in the height of summer when I can still ride after work with the extended daylight.. I know you can only pause it for a certain amount of time, but I assume if you restart for a month, you can pause it again..

similar to the Strava discussion here last year, there was and will be lots of hand-wringing about an extra $5.. if Zwift was smart, they would have rolled out the price increase in November..
Old 05-07-2024, 05:28 PM

I love the races, but I prefer fields that are larger, 40-50 riders. Most of them are about 10-15, and for open races about 2/3 don't go very hard at the start and get shelled. Tiny field sizes, combined with mis-categorized riders, means I generally win these on ZwiftPower even if I am far behind some legit but non-ZwiftPower riders. I did one Alpe race (an "Epic" race) and was 15 min behind the winner, 10 min behind 2nd, yet I "won" because neither were registered. I think they were legit. There are not legit riders, but those seemed 100% okay.

The WTRL races are really good. The best of the category, so it's quite hard, and at the start maybe only 1/10 get shelled, so you hit the course "features" with most of the field together. I often get shelled in those races, rarely reaching the finish with the front. I can do well if it's a points race format and I go for the sprints (fastest through segment, means I can go for fast times while off the back). Our team got better at the team time trial, simply by being more consistent; it's more a strengthening of the weakest rather than getting stronger. In the TTT the heavier riders had the advantage, so I was riding well below threshold whereas the lighter riders were riding their brains out. The teams that beat us consisted of 100-120kg riders who could do big watts on the flats and go super fast.

The only group rides I do now are PACK rides. Sub 1.5 or Sub 2, with all sprints contested, the only boost is aero. So it's designed to get PRs in sprints but go easy between. I struggle in the Sub2 to stay on after a sprint, but the Sub 1.5 is ideal for me to have fun. I've wasted a lot of time joining other group rides and getting shelled in the lead in.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:34 PM

I enjoyed the group rides with no fence, where it would break up into natural smaller groups of riders with similar strength, like a regular Tuesday night world championship drop ride might do.

These days I seem to find a pace partner ride in the power output I like and a course I’m OK with and ride those. I think my favorite courses are the Sugar Cookie course and the ones that simulate a Japanese scenescape. I listen to a podcast and try to keep up and not get too far behind or ahead, as the case may be.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
for all of the folks who are saying they cancel and them restart, why don't you just pause your account? that's what I do in the height of summer when I can still ride after work with the extended daylight.. I know you can only pause it for a certain amount of time, but I assume if you restart for a month, you can pause it again..

similar to the Strava discussion here last year, there was and will be lots of hand-wringing about an extra $5.. if Zwift was smart, they would have rolled out the price increase in November..
The only difference between pausing and cancelling is if you pause, it automatically restarts. You don't lose any of your account details or progress if you cancel, and it's basically one click to restart. Not sure why anyone would even both with pause.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:02 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The only difference between pausing and cancelling is if you pause, it automatically restarts. You don't lose any of your account details or progress if you cancel, and it's basically one click to restart. Not sure why anyone would even both with pause.
Hmm, fair enough.. I guess cause it's super easy to pause/unpause, but sounds like either is easy enough..
Old 05-07-2024, 06:13 PM

I bailed.

I’ve been using Zwift since I was an early beta tester. My wife also has subscribed for a while now. We both routinely kept Zwift all year long, and we both have been using Zwift simultaneously with TrainerRoad. 20/ea/mo is too rich for us and we both just cancelled our memberships. The only way we consider staying is if there is a very deep discount for households. I think the TR training plans and structured workouts are much better than those on Zwift, an TR’s AI is much better than anything Zwift does. We will watch YouTube for free to keep us entertained while using TR. Zwift was getting old and stale anyhow.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I always end up finding my group in races too. I used to race every week fro some 15 years and to me Zwift racing 'feels' like a race. The group rides can too but I have never pushed myself harder than on Zwift racing and it['s very much like that in the real world.

But I cannot hang on the front of even the B races now so I always end up finding a group but even then that group is typically chasing the one in front of it.