Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Thanks for that reminder - I totally forgot that 9250 isn't wireless...

I do like the idea of a THM crank, but the cable routing with that 30mm spindle in a BSA shell will require creativity. With my 'vagen, I stripped the outer cladding and covered the wire pair with electrical tape to make it work.
Yeah, that is a bit of an issue - what about a Look Origin crankset w a 24mm spindle? Or.. tbh, the DA 9250 crankset is not exactly uggers - to me anyway.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Would there be significant functional difference, really, between a Gunnar and a Sachs cross bike?
Since you've put such a fine point on it, in a word, no. (Not that there aren't other good reasons to buy a new bike...)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Thanks for that reminder - I totally forgot that 9250 isn't wireless...

I do like the idea of a THM crank, but the cable routing with that 30mm spindle in a BSA shell will require creativity. With my 'vagen, I stripped the outer cladding and covered the wire pair with electrical tape to make it work. cassette...
Aren’t all Sachs bikes set up with externally routed cables?.. What am I missing?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
How does Mr Sachs handle his queue? I have no more than two bikes in total, (unlike my collection of fine woodwinds which must be over a dozen) and don't swap out too frequently. My beloved Gunnar Crosshairs is 24 years old now, however, and there must be more touchup paint than original on it. The Sachs do look lovely and the craftsmanship is evident... Would there be significant functional difference, really, between a Gunnar and a Sachs cross bike?
The answer can be found here on his website.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:50 AM

I know of things much worse than Record 12 and tubular Boras.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1715165333
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS2a.jpg (34.3 KB, 323 views)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:11 AM

If you want to feel the landscape, get a mech group, and roll on tubs. Everything else will be a compromise.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:07 AM
ZhugeLiang

Like so.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:49 AM

I also put a deposit down this year on a Sachs frame. I bought a Campy SR mechanical, rim brake groupset. Parts will always be around, so I’m not too worried about Campy focusing on wireless, disc groups in the future.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:26 AM

There was a little discussion across the hall (Velocipede Salon) late last year about this topic when RS announced he was taking new orders for 2024. Lionel in particular was on the hunt for some new Campy rim brake Hyperons, iirc, to go with SR12 setup.
Slightly off topic, I found it interesting that RS, in a recent post, mentioned that the only road bike he rides now is a Peg Marcelo. It did cross my mind, why not ride one of your own bikes? But he's probably been there, done that for a long time and was ready for something different.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:54 AM

I would ask him, and do what he thinks is best. That's the whole point of waiting right?

I have never had Campy but I think both SRAM and Shimano would seem wrong on that kind of bike and electronic wouldn't be right either.

The gray bike weisan posted looks about right.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:00 AM

The easy answer is have Richard build the bike for you - he has sold complete bicycles from the very start of his frame building business. You will get a Campy SR 12 with Richard Sachs / Cole wheels. I don't know what stem / seatpost / saddle / bars etc.he will use - but that's part of the fun of a bespoke bike - built to the builder's vision.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:00 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I have never had Campy but I think both SRAM and Shimano would seem wrong on that kind of bike
That was my feeling when I spec'd the build for my Sachs, so I went with Campy mechanical Record 11-speed (this was circa 2016).

I'll be honest, I don't love the Campy paradigm -- those thumb levers are just ergonomically awful. I will never get another bike with mechanical Campy, and I'm 99.9% positive that any/all future bikes I ever buy will have SRAM eTap or whatever their electronic shifting is called these days.

But if my Sachs ever needs its gruppo replaced, it'll get mechanical Campy again. It just seems proper.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:02 AM

Campy 11 speed on this one. Bora Ultra tubulars.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Like so.

This is a killer colorway. There's another similar makeup in robins egg blue that gets me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Campy 11 speed on this one. Bora Ultra tubulars.

Mind my asking, what is the geo on this frame? Fork rake? This will be the first time I've gone custom with a steel fork and I'm noticing how the various bending radii of the fork blades catch my eye. I find a low and tight radius to be very off-putting, but this curve looks proper.

The whole question of whether an electronic group would be proper on a bike like this is entirely overshadowed by how damned good Di2 shifting has been for me. Having done some SF climbs on various groupsets, now ranging from C10 to 12sp Di2, shifting under load (specifically, climbing) tells you all you need to know about groupset advancements in the past 20 years.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Meh

Just have RS build the bike for you. This is the way.

Tags
atmo, the frame is the frame