Thread: OT: Watch Talk
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:21 AM

dude...welcome to the club...tread carefully, grasshopper, as N+1 can quickly get out of hand in this milieu.

fwiw...unless you're hell-bent on spending a $1-$2K on a pre-owned omega or tudor, i suggest considering other more economical brands. seriously.

i've spent so much on more expensive brands like rolex and the like...and over time gifted or sold them all. unless there's something special about a particular "expensive" watch or brand that calls you, the enjoyment is still there if you're on a budget -- seiko, citizen, hamilton, tissot, numerous micro-brands, the list goes on -- great watches for comfortably under $500. plus it's a low-risk way to learn what your taste in mechanical watches *really* is without tying alot of cash up before you know yourself.

as ultra said, "Seiko Diver. Done." holds very true for many. since you're retired military, there are lots of robust and low-cost vintage milwatches and "tributes" that might pique your interest (this is an area i delve). since you want a simple and robust daily wear watch, a 3-hand diver is probably your best move. and then maybe a somewhat nicer watch for when you're out for dinner or some nicer occasion if that's part of your routine. see...N+1 is already happening and you havent even taken your first step yet!

here's a great resource to browse multiple channels of web-forums marketplaces in one shot: http://www.mywatchmart.com/ -- PM me offline if you want to chat more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
I have been pondering stepping up to a new watch. I currently wear a Sunnto Core and I am the type of person that never takes his watch off ever... I was wondering since there are many aficionados here looking for an Automatic so Im leaning between an Omega seamaster or a Tudor. and because Im a Baller on a Budget it will most likely be "New to ME"
your vast knowledge and input is appreciated.

Last edited by wallymann; 07-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.