View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 05:52 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Interesting; two weeks ago I received a letter from my home insurance company informing me that they are adding, at no cost to me, wildfire protection (there is zero probability that a wildfire would ever reach my house); I had to send a letter to opt out of this coverage, which I did since there was so much mealy-mouthed language in the coverage that it was clear that even in the infinitesimally small chance that a wildfire reached my home they/their contracted provider would never show up. I assumed that some regulatory change may have prompted this letter but I'm just guessing.
Oh, that's super interesting. Yeah, regulatory in some weird way. I'll tell you what I know the next time I go climbing with you.

If your house or my apartment burns from wildfire, the city has bigger problems. For the people in the canyons, that's a risk they take. My ex lived in the evacuation zone for the Getty Fire two years ago. I wound up going to a local store and ran into a woman from Mandeville Canyon who could remember the last time things burned. Her house was at risk, again.