Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 02:32 PM

I used to use a roof racks but my old vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) had rain gutters. New cars don't have them. Do the rack mounts mess up the door gaskets?
Old 07-17-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
I’m not switching, but I was just ticketed for obscuring rear license plate with bike loaded on my Kuat hitch rack.
That really sucks. a warning would have been nicer.

This year I started using the Thule licence plate holder for this very reason. They have not started cracking down here in Toronto yet, but it is just a matter of time.

It takes a few minutes to do the transfer from car to holder, which is longer than it takes for me to install the rack and put on my bike. The Thule even has lights if your hitch is wired for it.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I used to use a roof racks but my old vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) had rain gutters. New cars don't have them. Do the rack mounts mess up the door gaskets?
I wouldn't worry about the gaskets themselves as the clips cinch up (typically) against the roof overhang, but I left a rack on a car for a long time in the heat and etc. and the rubber degraded, got gummy, and totally left 4 marks where the feet sat... would not recommend for a leased car!
Old 07-17-2023, 03:09 PM

Hitch Rack all day long

I have used both a fair bit. Definitely prefer the ease of the rear hitch rack (where I sit the bike on the tray w/o taking off wheels style). I had a BMW a couple of years ago that I used the roof rack because a hitch mount would've entailed taking apart the entire rear end to install. The roof rack reminded me I prefer a hitch mount. Also, when I moved to CO 26 years ago I thought the garages were taller here and drove the roof mounted bike into the garage, that hurt.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I’m not switching, but I was just ticketed for obscuring rear license plate with bike loaded on my Kuat hitch rack.
I'm surprised. I drive around with a 1up a lot. It would be nice if states offered a 3rd license plate to keep one on a rack.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:21 PM
Vendor

I've had both setups over the years. Main advantages of a roof rack are the different carrying options you can have for different gear: bikes, snowboards/skis, cargo boxes, etc. It also doesn't affect your departure angle - especially useful if you go off-road. Having stuff on the roof is a 3mpg hit to my mileage. My biggest fear though is driving into a garage or drive thru.

Another consideration is how many bikes you plan to carry. I've got a Kuat NV hitch rack now. I bought the 2-bike add-on so I can carry 4 bikes. I only put the 2 bike add-on when I need it. The rack sticks way far out with 4 bikes and is really heavy. I've got an SUV with an upgraded after-market suspension. Prior to the suspension upgrade, having all four bikes on the hitch would make the backend squat with all that weight. The front is then pitched up. Not the best driving experience.

If all I'm doing is driving to the trailhead, I'll always use the hitch rack. It's much easier to load/unload the bike and I don't have to worry about driving into my garage. I do get an mpg hit, but it's nowhere as bad as the roof rack. I haven't been popped for license plate obstruction, but I also take the rack off when I'm not using it. It does take up a lot of room in my garage though.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
I've heard they are doing a bit of that in the Bay Area as well..
Old 07-17-2023, 03:50 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Another consideration is how many bikes you plan to carry. I've got a Kuat NV hitch rack now. I bought the 2-bike add-on so I can carry 4 bikes. I only put the 2 bike add-on when I need it. The rack sticks way far out with 4 bikes and is really heavy. I've got an SUV with an upgraded after-market suspension. Prior to the suspension upgrade, having all four bikes on the hitch would make the backend squat with all that weight. The front is then pitched up. Not the best driving experience..
I had an NV and now have a 1 Up. Either way, if I had to carry more than 2 bikes, I’d never get the add-on extension. Way too long. Id opt for an upright rack, like a North Shore or Velocirax.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:54 PM

License Plate Copy and Plate/Light Mount

Quote:
I am in NH and while I have not been harassed for obscured license plate I bought a fake license plate on Amazon (color print aluminum with my plate ID), and have a rear light/plate mount from KodyTechnologies for the Kurt Rack. The light works extremely well and the plate does also, although not as slick as the 1UP solution. I don't have to change out the plat e on the car.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:34 PM

I've heard that insurance companies aren't keen on paying out for bikes that get damaged in rear end accidents because of the taillights being obscured.

I know its minor, but when I get to my destination, and I fold my hitch rack up I hate that my back up camera is obscured, and I hate listening to the warning lights that my car thinks I'm about to back up into something.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:10 PM
ZhugeLiang

hitch.

Do it once and for all.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:55 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
I always preferred roof racks. Hot exhaust on tires/carbon rims, concern of rear ending, backing into something and dragging the hitchrack and bikes on the ground when entering/exiting steep inclines/driveways. The last is especially gut wrenching when your bike is dragging along and you are helpless to stop it.
> have to remember to diagonal any exit
Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
And I know of several people who have driven into their garages with the rack on the roof.
> Best solution is to place a large garbage can or ladder where your would be. There's no driving into the garage since something is in the way
Old 07-17-2023, 06:24 PM

on my car there is no way that it will drag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3643-1.jpg (127.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 07-17-2023, 06:33 PM

On a trip to Switzerland, I noticed all of the hitch racks had license plates and lights (tail and brake) mounted on them. When asked, I was told that was the law.
Surely some rack manufacturer in the US has thought of that.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:39 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
On a trip to Switzerland, I noticed all of the hitch racks had license plates and lights (tail and brake) mounted on them. When asked, I was told that was the law.
Surely some rack manufacturer in the US has thought of that.
Yes, I know at least a couple have them available, including 1Up. And plenty of aftermarket options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1906.jpeg (37.8 KB, 114 views)