Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 05:31 AM

I don't think we know whether it works yet. The fact that it lost sight of a car for a few seconds over a hill and then didn't alert you again is concerning. In my area that kind of thing happens multiple times every ride and a Garmin handles it flawlessly. A radar has to be pretty darn close to 100% reliable to be worth anything at all.

I agree that this is not a component on which I'd prioritize saving money. Especially considering that $50-100 is insignificant relative to what most people on a board like this spend on cycling in total.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
I agree that this is not a component on which I'd prioritize saving money. Especially considering that $50-100 is insignificant relative to what most people on a board like this spend on cycling in total.
The amount of people who want a Varia but only at $50 off boggles my mind.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:49 AM

Agreed, Varia is bulletproof. I just skip the fancy tubeless valves some folks around here run and I've got the $50.. but sure, whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:32 AM

I love my RTL515. I had a 510 and it was a few years old and started to not charge. Called Garmin and even though it was out of warranty and Garmin replaced it anyway. They had no 510's and they told me they were sending a RTL515 and they did.That was a couple of month ago. Works pretty much so flawless. I charge it every three or four rides and I'm satisfied.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

It came with a mount for round and aero seat posts. I’m using the aero mount and it’s actually very good.

The marketing copy on the amazon link, indicates that the mounts are for D-shaped and Aero seatposts respectively. Would the D-shaped mount work on a round post?
Old 04-27-2024, 07:02 AM

Gamin and monopoly is kind of funny. The don’t really have anything close to monopoly power on any product line and they are completely non predatory compared to most electronics companies. Most of the other companies in the space are well behaved too.

If they were like MS or Apple ANT+ would be something proprietary and Bryton would need their own head unit. And they’d constantly sabotage stuff like Strava.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
I do find it interesting that Trek put out their light which is similar to Garmin's including pricing. I wonder why they wouldn't go either higher or lower since it would seem that most non-Trek riders would not necessarily view their product as better than Garmin's and choose Trek over Garmin. Maybe it's a rebranded Garmin made device and the deal was to sell at same price?
No, it's 99% about margins.

Trek has the retail stores, and can put the higher margin product on their shelves and/or force Garmin to lower their wholesale prices to compete if they want to be represented in their Trek-owned stores.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Why would I spend retail if I know yearly it goes on sale for 50 off?
Old 04-27-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I don't think we know whether it works yet. The fact that it lost sight of a car for a few seconds over a hill and then didn't alert you again is concerning. In my area that kind of thing happens multiple times every ride and a Garmin handles it flawlessly. A radar has to be pretty darn close to 100% reliable to be worth anything at all.

My varia has not been infallible either especially riding on dirt roads where it has done things similar to your hill scenario. but I always trust it with road traffic and it’s never made a mistake other than count of vehicles often mistaking the count of large vehicles; box trucks or vehicles such as lawn maintenance trucks with trailers often come up as 2 rather than one.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-27-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Agree. The Varia is the single best cycling purchase I have ever made. Cost was never an issue for me compared to what it provides me.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I get that outlook, but I knew the car was there. To me this is an aid, it’s not a replacement for my eyes and ears. So just knowing the vehicle was there in the first place is great. But yes I get the concern.

The GPLlama review of the product was good. Way more in depth than mine.

The nice thing about smaller companies like Bryton, Wahoo, Coros et al, is that they actually update their firmware regularly and introduce new features all the time, so it’s only going to get better.

Totally agree that the cost saving is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but why would I not save $100 if the product works basically as well while also being ‘better’ (referring to USB C here. It’s a big deal to me).
Old 04-27-2024, 11:08 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Does the Bryton use the same Garmin quarter turn mount?
Old 04-27-2024, 11:17 AM

All the reviews I've seen indicate the Gardia makes more errors than the Varia. That seems important.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Why would I spend retail if I know yearly it goes on sale for 50 off?
Because the value of having it sooner than later is, in this instance, easilyworth $50. If I had to pay $50 not to be without my Varia for a month (say mine was broken and I could rent one for $50) I would pay without hesitating.
And I am in the income range where $50 is, while thank goodness far from being make or break, still very meaningful.

But…if you’re thinking about one…wait…til the end of the month.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Because the value of having it sooner than later is, in this instance, easilyworth $50. If I had to pay $50 not to be without my Varia for a month (say mine was broken and I could rent one for $50) I would pay without hesitating.
And I am in the income range where $50 is, while thank goodness far from being make or break, still very meaningful.

But…if you’re thinking about one…wait…til the end of the month.
I already have 2 and want to get them for gifts for the end of the year so no rush. While they are useful tools I’d take my cat ears any day over the light. I can still look behind me and with the cat ears I can easily hear most any car approaching.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-27-2024 at 04:27 PM.