Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I've used the insulated Podium Chill bottles along with Purists, and the taste is about the same ie no plastic.

IME the Podium Chill will insulate roughly 2-3x as well as a Purist in regular riding. IE, on warm days the liquid will still get warm but at a greatly reduced rate. In 80 deg F weather the Chill would stay cold for roughly 30mins, then moderate at 60mins, warm at 75-90min or so. With Purists then would be close to ambient temp within about 45mins.
When you refer to the Purists, are you talking about the insulated Purists, or the regular ones? I think they also call their insulated bottles "Chromatek".
Old 05-09-2024, 08:09 PM

I've had the chance to use the Podium Chills, the new steel Podium bottle, and the Polar insulated bottle, I can handily say the steel Podium works the best out of the three by a huge margin. I can start and end a ride with the drink in the bottle still ice cold, and the ice cubes fairly intact.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:18 PM

Metal camelbak bottles in a carbon cage seem like a bad idea but curious if anyone is using them in arundel carbon cages?
Old 05-09-2024, 10:41 PM

Honest question: from a performance standpoint, is there any benefit to having cold water on a ride? Or is my gross 90 degree water getting it done, whatever that thing is?

I always just assumed that water is water no matter the temperature, but perhaps not?
Old 05-09-2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Honest question: from a performance standpoint, is there any benefit to having cold water on a ride? Or is my gross 90 degree water getting it done, whatever that thing is?

I always just assumed that water is water no matter the temperature, but perhaps not?
Yes. Cold water stops your body's temperature from rising too quickly. It's refreshing, and cools you off fast. Drinking cold water during a workout means a lower heart rate, lower body temperature, and better performance overall.

So says a google query.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:10 AM

^^this, and temperature management is at least as important as hydration. I have a pair of 24oz Polar bottles that have been great for years now. They’re not “insulated stainless” effective but they are a long way better than uninsulated bottles. I use the largest ice cubes I can make, or do the “freeze half full while tipped over” approach.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Yes. Cold water stops your body's temperature from rising too quickly. It's refreshing, and cools you off fast. Drinking cold water during a workout means a lower heart rate, lower body temperature, and better performance overall.

So says a google query.
Then again, google why people drink hot beverages (eg tea) in hot weather, and that also cools you off by stimulating body to produce more sweat.

So maybe it would be in fact the case that the worst temperature beverage you can drink is room/body temperature in hot weather (but would be good in freezing weather)?
Old 05-10-2024, 07:13 AM

I don’t think it’s possible for my body to produce more sweat
Old 05-10-2024, 08:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM
Old 05-10-2024, 08:57 AM
Older Than You

I've used Podium Chill bottles for years. I fill the bottle half full and freeze it. I take it out of the freezer 30 minutes before a ride and fill it up with tap water.
This lasts a looooong time.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM

the camelbak stainless podium bottle weighs 200 grams more than my insulated polar bottle and holds 2oz less water. Adding 400 grams for a a little colder, longer lasting water is a pretty hard sell for me.

I also think that weight would break most carbon cages over time if riding rough terrain.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:32 AM

https://escapecollective.com/the-bes...-water-bottle/

This article from James Huang at Escape collective has some metrics for insulated bottles and time before warming up.

I've been trying out the Bivo insulated bottle this year, it's nice, yes there is a weight penalty, and I found it's noisier in a King Ti cage, but in an Arundel mandible cage it's very secure and quiet.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
When you refer to the Purists, are you talking about the insulated Purists, or the regular ones? I think they also call their insulated bottles "Chromatek".
Was taking about the bog standard non insulated purists, which are my standard for good/cheap bottles that don’t impart a flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
the camelbak stainless podium bottle weighs 200 grams more than my insulated polar bottle and holds 2oz less water. Adding 400 grams for a a little colder, longer lasting water is a pretty hard sell for me.

I also think that weight would break most carbon cages over time if riding rough terrain.
That’s a pretty fair argument, and why I elect for the 2 plastic insulated and one large stainless. The insulated metal bottle I use is the GSI Microlite 1000 which I got for $15 on clearance from REI. It holds 9oz more and weighs roughly 250g more than the 24oz insulate podium chills, yet keeps ice frozen forever. So for the weight penalty I can refill the other two bottles at least twice and have cold liquid for an entire 5+ hour ride.

I’ve tried the half-frozen bottle idea and in my experience only keeps the liquid cold for the first refill, and since that refill is for less liquid it ends up being basically a wash. Also you have to freeze the water in the bottle themselves, which takes planning and room in the freezer.

Maybe because I’m a fatty and need all the cold liquid I can get, but the reserve bottle for ice only is the most effective I’ve tried so far. Would really love it though is the stainless cycling specific bottles came in larger capacities.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post

When you sweat your body is trying to get rid of heat energy. Sweating helps by evaporating - the sweat absorbs heat energy and dissipates into the air. Problem is that if you're dripping sweat, that sweat is not evaporating really well, therefore it's not cooling you down well. There's an inflection point where if it's too humid, sweat won't evaporate at all, and your body temp goes out of control.

Another way of shedding heat energy is to warm up something cold, like ice cold water. Cold water absorbs heat energy, and becomes warm. That heat energy is energy your body doesn't need to shed via sweat and evaporation.

This is especially significant when it's hot and you're humid (aka dripping with sweat).

When you drink 32F water, it warms up to, say, 99F. The heating process is what helps you, your body heating the water up to your body temp.

If you're too full of water from trying to cool down, you can trickle it on your neck, shoulders, etc. Again, your body will heat that water up and that heat energy it used is now gone from your body.

Tricky thing is to not let your body think it's in an ice bath and constrict your capillaries. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) your head is your thermometer, so if you dump water on your head, your body tries to retain heat by constricting capillaries, not good when you're overheating. But if you dump it elsewhere, it doesn't seem to have that kind of effect (just locally, like on your leg or wherever). This is why when you take a cold shower after a hot ride you sweat after, but if you try to keep the cold water off your head you feel better. Maybe it's just all fantasy and I'm making it up, but that's what I do.

There was a race where I had two good Podium Ice bottles set up, and I had plenty of water. There was a guy near me that had obviously drained his bottles and was riding through a big puddle trying to cool down. What was ironic is that the prior year, that was me doing the exact same thing. But with the insulated bottles and ice cold water... that was the race I was shivering with cold (not heat) after the race. I had too much saved, figured more cold water was better than less, and ended up basically giving myself an ice water bath at the bell. Shocked me and made my legs feel super stiff. Probably helped the riders behind me more than it helped me.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:01 PM

CamelBak Podium Ice is a significantly better bottle than their Podium Chill, in regards to keeping cold/ice longer.
TX standard procedure: 2 bottles packed with ice cubes, water in one and Gatorade in the other.