Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 01:15 PM

3T new model: Strada Italia

"3T completes the made-in-Italy range with the Strada Italia.
A versatile, high-performance road bike that aims to blend comfort and aerodynamics.

Continuing the development of in-house production, 3T adds a new model to its made-in-Italy portfolio: the Strada Italia, a road bike for all roads, which aims to maximize the rider’s performance with a perfect balance between comfort and aerodynamics. The Strada Italia sports a design optimized around tires with a 30-35mm WAM (Width As Measured), a fitting studied to enable strong riders to maximize their performance, and aerodynamic tube shapes designed to optimize the speed in real-world conditions.
The filament winding and RTM technologies shared with its fellow 3T Italia models, the RaceMax and Extrema, allowed the engineers of the Bergamo-based brand to have complete control over the carbon layup process. The result is a frame that significantly enhances the on-the-bike experience:

Reactivity - The more you push, the more it gives. The in-house engineering technology allowed 3T to build a frame that gives you the energy return you look for whenever you want to up the pace. With its short chainstays, the Strada Italia offers the feel of a pure racing bike.
Handling - The balance of torsional stiffness-to-compliance at the headtube has allowed 3T’s technicians to maximize the Strada's precision as it dives into corners, giving the rider the confidence needed to get the best out of themselves and the bike, especially on fast and challenging descents.
Comfort - The layup in the lower seat tube area has been refined, most significantly in the curved aero cut-out: this section gives the Strada Italia significant engineered vertical compliance without compromising energy transfer."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240509_140558_Gmail.jpg (87.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240509_140618_Gmail.jpg (63.6 KB, 253 views)
Old 05-09-2024, 01:28 PM

Is it me or does that seatpost look pretty vertical?
Old 05-09-2024, 01:33 PM

It doesn't look "versatile" to me.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:35 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
It doesn't look "versatile" to me.
What are you talking about - there's something here for everyone from those who shave their legs daily to those who shave them merely once a week.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:37 PM

I think it is a little uglier than my race max, however I’ve grown quite fond of it in person after a month or so. This bike looks even faster but less versatile IMO.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:46 PM
Byron

There should be a required "Viewing Warning!!! - May Result in Brain Damage"
Old 05-09-2024, 01:50 PM

Pretty ugly.

The seat tube probably counts in the same category as MTBs... offset and/or curved so you end up with two measurements:

"Seat Tube Angle"
"Effective Seat Tube Angle"

What gets weird is it makes it trickier to get your setback correct when the actual STA is so vertical like this.

As opposed to some MTBs where Effective STA is actually smaller than the Actual STA.. which makes it work better with a zero offset post IIRC.

I have a MTB with an offset + curved ST and you just gotta completely ignore the saddle height measuring up from the BB and figure out some other way to verify your position.

I can't decide whether the seat tube is the ugly part or the fork/head tube/saddle combo is what makes it most ugly.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:58 PM

$6600 frameset.

4 sizes:

51, 54, 56, 58.

Lots of people need not apply.

No Campy build options.

Last edited by benb; 05-09-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:04 PM

Old 05-09-2024, 03:08 PM

The top photo is Rosso color, it comes in white and also green. There is an option for a ready to paint frameset which is $400 more than the painted options (less is more!).
Old 05-09-2024, 03:11 PM

I owned a 3T strada for about a year (recently sold to a buddy for crit duty) and thought it was a really neat bike that seemed extremely well suited for our local style of riding. I swear it was a faster feeling bike than the tarmac SL7 it replaced. The aesthetics may be a bit polarizing but the Italia version seems to expand on what made that bike appealing- very aerodynamic, comfortable road machine. Adding clearance is a plus and the filament wound tubes look super cool in person. We have a dealer that’s local to me in Benton Harbor that stocks some and I am pretty impressed.
I’ve been riding a Racemax (via clean39t) for some gravel races this season and it’s hands down my favorite gravel bike I’ve owned, so call me a fan. I’d be plunking down cash for one of these now if I didn’t JUST build a Cervelo Soloist last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6401.jpg (137.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by slambers3; 05-09-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:37 PM
Sunshine

Old 05-09-2024, 04:08 PM

It looks like a TT bike to me. It’s a tool for a job.

Great to hear that people who own them love them.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
I owned a 3T strada for about a year (recently sold to a buddy for crit duty) and thought it was a really neat bike that seemed extremely well suited for our local style of riding. I swear it was a faster feeling bike than the tarmac SL7 it replaced. The aesthetics may be a bit polarizing but the Italia version seems to expand on what made that bike appealing- very aerodynamic, comfortable road machine. Adding clearance is a plus and the filament wound tubes look super cool in person. We have a dealer that’s local to me in Benton Harbor that stocks some and I am pretty impressed.
I’ve been riding a Racemax (via clean39t) for some gravel races this season and it’s hands down my favorite gravel bike I’ve owned, so call me a fan. I’d be plunking down cash for one of these now if I didn’t JUST build a Cervelo Soloist last week.
I have a Racemax Exploro that I absolutely love. If I, too, hadn't purchased a Soloist 18 months ago and love that as I do, I'd be all in on the Strada. Pretty pleased with the 3T offerings.