Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2023, 06:45 AM

I had horrible experiences with Tubolitos.

bought 2, 1 flatted immediately and the other one started leaking from the valve stem after 2 rides and wouldn't hold air.

Tubolito warrantied them both, one immediately started leaking from the valve... again, and the other started leaking air from where the valve is bonded to the tube.

The 3 rides I did on them they did feel nice, but like 70$ to last a total of maybe 50 miles. NOPE.

While binge purchasing a bunch of things on Ali Express I did impulse buy the ridenow tubes for 8$ each. The have been setup on my bike (not ridden because of winter) but holding air just fine. The way the valve is bonded to the tube seems more robust that the tubolito and the valve itself is a metal one like a standard tube, which is likely to be much more robust than the POS plastic valve on the Tubolitos.

I'm hopelessly optimistic about these, but if they're trash... they were 8$ each not 35$ each.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:58 AM

What are people using to patch these? I tried a Park patch kit that was recommended but no luck.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:49 AM

If you search Weight Weenies, there's a lot of postings in these tubes going back years. I assume these tubes have been improved, but lots of complaints about patches not working and plastic valve stem issues. I would look for postings from people that have put a decent amount of miles on them. Some people use them as a spare as they're light and fold up compactly.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 AM

With how delicate they can be I would hesitate to carry on one as a spare. I need to put in a order for a few of those ridenow tubes to give them a try. 2 of them weigh the same as one Vittoria latex tube.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:36 AM

I've had GREAT luck with the Pirellis, call it 85% of the latex goodness but don't have to pump them everyday. My father-in-law tried the Tubolitos when they first came out and had nothing but problems with faulty valves and them tearing near the valve, but happy to say I haven't seen those yet with my yellow Pirellis. As others have stated, they do expand so swapping tires while reusing the tube is a bit of fun, but if you take your time it's no big deal.

I don't patch tubes, so the few tire slashes I have gotten were a little expensive but that's urban riding for you. They all have held air, and only flatted due to cuts/punctures in the tires.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
What are people using to patch these? I tried a Park patch kit that was recommended but no luck.
I used a piece of TPU innertube that had a massive split in it. I cut a patch out of it and used some Gorilla Glue to stick it. This takes some time to stick so not for the side of the road. I recommend placing the patch under a heavy weight while it sets, I used a few books.
I am told that the patch kits are TPU with ordinary rubber cement, But I hear they fail long term.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I've had GREAT luck with the Pirellis, call it 85% of the latex goodness but don't have to pump them everyday. My father-in-law tried the Tubolitos when they first came out and had nothing but problems with faulty valves and them tearing near the valve, but happy to say I haven't seen those yet with my yellow Pirellis. As others have stated, they do expand so swapping tires while reusing the tube is a bit of fun, but if you take your time it's no big deal.

I don't patch tubes, so the few tire slashes I have gotten were a little expensive but that's urban riding for you. They all have held air, and only flatted due to cuts/punctures in the tires.
Same here. Like the Pirellis for both road and light gravel. I'm also not a patcher.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:48 AM

Anyone else buy the "Ridenow" TPU tubes off Aliexpress? I've never ordered from that site. Would def. give 'em a whirl if they're any good at 6 bucks a pop or so. Sure beats Tubolito at 35 (+/-). THere's another brand on there, forget the name, but they're green TPU. Seems ridenow has 2 diff. versions also, one at 36gr. and another at 24 gr.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-30-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Anyone else buy the "Ridenow" TPU tubes off Aliexpress? I've never ordered from that site. Would def. give 'em a whirl if they're any good at 6 bucks a pop or so. Sure beats Tubolito at 35 (+/-). THere's another brand on there, forget the name, but they're green TPU. Seems ridenow has 2 diff. versions also, one at 36gr. and another at 24 gr.
I've tried them. Had slow leaks on 2 tubes I've tried so gave up on them. However I read the valves need some tightening which I failed to try so I'm going to give them another try again here soon.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I bought a bunch of RideNow tubes last year and haven't had any issues with them so far. They are more or less the same quality as Tubolito and Pirelli. I picked up a patch kit as well. Just in case.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:50 PM
Vendor

I was searching for experiences with Tubolito, this thread popped up, so I'll add my experience here. Needed pull the Tubolito out on last night's ride - Tubolito S, 29er. Got the Tubolito in, pumped it up, but air wasn't holding. Managed to beeline it back home stopping every few blocks to pump. When I got back home I submerged the tube in water and found a tiny pinhole. I cleaned it with alcohol and patched it with Gear Aid Tenacious Tape. Inspection of the tire didn't reveal anything sharp but I did notice a small tear in casing - maybe that was enough to make the pinhole? Tire was getting old so I tossed it and installed the patched Tubolito in a new mtb tire. Tire was flat this morning. Removed the tube and submerged in water. The patch was holding, but this time I found a whole bunch of super tiny, tiny holes - at least three. It was almost as if the walls were so thin that air molecules were finding a way out. The Tubolito was reused once to help a friend complete a ride. Worked fine, tube was removed, cleaned, and I repacked it as my spare.

Hurts to toss a $30 tube. To average out the cost and because I'm a fool, I went and bought a RideNow on Aliexpress.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:57 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
At the beginning of the year I switched the 3 most ridden bikes over to Ridenow from Temu. So far after about 1500 miles I am very happy. No flats or slow leaks. I still carry a butyl as a spare so I can use CO2 in case of a flat. They feel like they have less rolling resistance but no hard data. But I like them and will continue to use them and may start to replace the other bikes tubes with TPU
Old 05-08-2024, 03:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
At the beginning of the year I switched the 3 most ridden bikes over to Ridenow from Temu. So far after about 1500 miles I am very happy. No flats or slow leaks. I still carry a butyl as a spare so I can use CO2 in case of a flat. They feel like they have less rolling resistance but no hard data. But I like them and will continue to use them and may start to replace the other bikes tubes with TPU
That's good to hear. Have you had success reusing Ridenow tubes? A Ridenow tube is $1 on Aliexpress right now, but only one per customer. It all seems like a giant scam, but I went ahead and ordered one. A ripoff of a ripoff would be rich. So far no weird charges on my credit card.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
That's good to hear. Have you had success reusing Ridenow tubes? A Ridenow tube is $1 on Aliexpress right now, but only one per customer. It all seems like a giant scam, but I went ahead and ordered one. A ripoff of a ripoff would be rich. So far no weird charges on my credit card.
I might be a klutz, but I have never managed to make a Ridenow tube last a tyre swap. I have done so on occasion with the Revoloop tubes, of course possibly far more gingerly considering how much more they cost, so I would say take this with a huge handful of salt.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:47 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
As of today I have not removed any TPU tubes after they were installed. I imagine that since they do not return to their original size removing them may need more care than butyl. If I get a flat the tube gets tossed out. I don't patch any tubes regardless of material.