Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Since there's no friction to fire off that message with one click, I can see someone firing off dozens of them for the same/similar item they're looking for.

I know thats where most of the buying/selling is happening these days but holy **** what a horrible platform and interface.
The "search" disfunction on there is, welll, I just can't think of a stronger word for completely and utterly useless. It pulls up stuff not even remotely related, at least according to my mental algorithm, and misses the exact item title that you find while just browsing.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
The "search" disfunction on there is, welll, I just can't think of a stronger word for completely and utterly useless. It pulls up stuff not even remotely related, at least according to my mental algorithm, and misses the exact item title that you find while just browsing.
This is my biggest thing with Marketplace too... I hate it.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:27 PM

I don't use it a lot, but on occasion I sell something of FBM. So I'm not really familiar with it or the latest scams, hence looking for advice.

Earlier today I listed a 72" mid mount (PTO) mower deck for a John Deere 3 Series tractor. Not exactly your everyday item.

I very quickly got a message via Facebook Messenger from someone who wanted to pick it up now and asked that I text her.

Not really willing to go outside of FBM, I messaged her back stating that she could pick it up now, cash only.

As shown in the pics I posted it's just sitting down the side road to the barn and I suppose that anyone could come steal it in the middle of the night, but they'd probably have to have something rather noisy to pick it up and load it. I guess that it could fit in an everyday pickup truck in a cockeyed way, but it's HEAVY.

She has no posts or any other activity in FB, although she joined in 2004. That was a few minutes ago. I tried to look again, and FB tells me that "This content isn't available right now". Not sure if that's a sign of a scam or FB is having issues.

Does this sound like a scam?

If this is too much of a drift or hijack, mods please make it a separate thread.

Last edited by reuben; 05-07-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I don't use it a lot, but on occasion I sell something of FBM. So I'm not really familiar with it or the latest scams, hence looking for advice.

Earlier today I listed a 72" mid mount (PTO) mower deck for a John Deere 3 Series tractor. Not exactly your everyday item.

I very quickly got a message via Facebook Messenger from someone who wanted to pick it up now and asked that I text her.

Not really willing to go outside of FBM, I messaged her back stating that she could pick it up now, cash only.

As shown in the pics I posted it's just sitting down the side road to the barn and I suppose that anyone could come steal it in the middle of the night, but they'd probably have to have something rather noisy to pick it up and load it. I guess that it could fit in an everyday pickup truck in a cockeyed way, but it's HEAVY.

She has no posts or any other activity in FB, although she joined in 2004. That was a few minutes ago. I tried to look again, and FB tells me that "This content isn't available right now". Not sure if that's a sign of a scam or FB is having issues.

If this is too much of a drift or hijack, mods please make it a separate thread.
Absolutely a scam.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Well you never know, I could be convinced to buy a bass boat and a prom dress today...
Old 05-08-2024, 01:25 AM

Selling on FB marketplace seems to attract the weirdest people. I had a couple of things I was almost giving away (pennies on the dollar) and had to explain to a few of the folks that no, I’m not trekking half way across the city to sell them a 5 dollar stem. I also enjoy the guys who show up to buy the 25 dollar item with 22 one dollar bills. I just avoid FB these days.

eBay for me remains the easiest place to sell. Free shipping and no reserve gives me the best results, not sure if others have different results?
Old 05-08-2024, 01:45 AM

I have to admit .. I've clicked on "Is it available" one too many times.

For instance, currently, I'm looking for a replacement fork for a 2007 System6. The fork is hard to come by. This is a bike I would like to ride as/when I am bothered to put it back together. It's just that I have far too many conflicting priorities at the moment.

So on the days when I'm scrolling through FBM and come across someone selling a CDale fork .. guess what?
Sadly, I'm more than likely to click "Is it available" first .. get the response .. then contemplate on what to do next.
Many times ... nothing.

(hangs head in shame)

Having said that .. I have in the past, clicked on "is it available" half-heartedly. Got the response ..
and managed to convince myself to get the frame. .. which is the R5 I'm riding at the moment
Old 05-08-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
The more you scroll, the more ads they show
Old 05-08-2024, 07:08 AM

I haven't sold anything for a while -- but I agree with all the criticism of the interface, search, and algorithms.

I would add a couple of my pet peeves--that there is no mechanism to age out ads, so you will get stuff advertised that either sold two years ago, or the seller lost interest. I occasionally get the 'that sold months ago' comment, to which I tend to passive-aggressively reply 'so why is the ad still up?'.

I have had some great transactions though, both buying and selling so I keep using it. (I gave up on Craigslist--too many ghosters and yabbos.)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:09 AM

right now FBM accounts for most of my sales compared to Craigslist. Craigs has a better clientele of shopper/buyer. i would say 90 percent of the 'is it availables' from FBM i never hear from again
Old 05-08-2024, 09:43 AM

So where is the best place to sell new bike parts (bad habit of buying on-line for projects I later change my mind on) and framesets?
Old 05-08-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
So I had something like that happen recently, selling a camera. The guy seemed local and had an account that wasnt created yesterday, he made a fair offer and we set a time to meet up.

The dude then was late, with a flurry of weird excuses - stuck in traffic, got lost/turned around, on a one-way street, his data plan wont let him do maps, I'm pulling up any minute - even sending a photo of an intersection about a miles away - and eventually I just left after 30 minutes. He messaged the next day saying he hadnt eaten and had gotten himself into a bad spot - i told him to take care of himself and agreed to meet him at lunch the next day, which turned into all the same stories and a no-show.

So I dont know if this was some sort of scam (if it is, whats the angle?), or just a weird one off. I've bought and sold what feels like a lot of stuff on the internet, FB, CL and rarely had a bad experience other than some weirdos and propositions.
The angle is usually: "my car is out of gas, can you send me $5 or $10 so I can fill it up to come complete the transaction." Not sure why they didn't try this on you, but I suspect it was coming if you continued the interaction.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:55 AM

I haven't had any of the many excuses, ask for cash scams, just lots of bots. Those are easy enough to spot after a while, so I just block and move on. No skin off my back, I consider part of the cost of doing business.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post

Absolutely a scammmer. She has made her profile “unavailable” after her initial contact, there’s NO legitimate reason for that. I admin a couple private Facebook groups, and on the rare occasions that we get scam posts, the author is always “unavailable”. They get booted immediately.

Funny story, I had replaced my kitchen sink a year or two ago, and there’s a local “free only” Facebook group (presumably for poor people). Anyhow, I put the old, but fully functional sink and faucet on there. I must’ve gotten 6 or 7 folks that wanted it, but not a ONE followed through to come get it. A couple of them wanted me to deliver! On a lark, I posted it on marketplace for $14.00 and within an hour, had a guy drive to my house and paid cash. Go figure.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
So where is the best place to sell new bike parts (bad habit of buying on-line for projects I later change my mind on) and framesets?
There are bicycle gear trading groups that you'll probably have more success in than just the general marketplace.