Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 12:48 PM

I usually have zwift going on my phone while I'm watching netflix on a tablet. I look down at it from time to time, especially if I find myself in a group ride situation.

I'm intrigued by mywhoosh since that might be a better combo with watching tv or doing the wahoo ecosystem of stuffs.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:53 PM

I use to use Zwift but switched to Rouvy as I have to riding indoors a lot to take care of my wife who is ill. I enjoy riding the pro race routes each year while watching the races. I also ride with a c
Group of racers on courses during the week doing training rides.
How anyone rides on Zwift is beyond me me.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:16 PM

I went six years without using a trainer when I lived in NE Texas. The weather was mild enough and the Northeast Texas Trail (rail trail) gave me plenty of opportunities to ride all winter. Here in NW Arizona, the road riding isn't that great, and often the wind is 20+ mph, whipping up dust storms. Right now, the wind is out of the northwest at 23 mph and it's the desert, you can't get out of the wind. When I moved here in 2018 for work, I bought a Wahoo KICKR and put together a workout space with my old Ti Fierte, KICKR Climb, Bluetooth speakers, two big fans, and a 32" flat screen TV. It is always available.

We live in Wyoming in the summer and the road riding is awesome, no need for a trainer. We will likely move to Wyoming next spring, so I'll set the trainer up again since winter temps often begin with "negative."
Old 05-08-2024, 06:28 PM
Back At It!

I will say MyWoosh has piqued my interest..

anyone use it?
Old 05-08-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post

anyone use it?
not often.. but I use it maybe 3-4 times a month.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:

anyone use it?
It's basically zwift, but a little worse. You can ride for free, but need to pay for racing.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:06 PM

I heartily agree. TrainerRoad is worth the 20 to me for the gains that come with it (structured workouts/planning) and makes it a great value in comparison to human coaching. I've been struggling the last two years to justify the 15 for zwift when I just put on for the Z2 indoor rides to make it less boring, at 20 it's a definite no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernium View Post
I liked Zwift when I still used it, but realized that I wasn’t getting much training gains with it, and for that price I jumped ship to Trainerroad. It is a good social virtual riding platform if people value that.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Which is exactly why ZWIFT wants you to pause rather than cancel. Billing will automatically restart after a set period of time whether you intend to use it or not. I cancelled my Zwift a month or two ago and may turn it back on in Novemberish. I do still have TrainerRoad as an annual plan which I can use indoors/outdoors if desired.
AFAIK, they got rid of the pause option. You cancel (for however long you want to) or not.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I went six years without using a trainer when I lived in NE Texas. The weather was mild enough and the Northeast Texas Trail (rail trail) gave me plenty of opportunities to ride all winter. Here in NW Arizona, the road riding isn't that great, and often the wind is 20+ mph, whipping up dust storms. Right now, the wind is out of the northwest at 23 mph and it's the desert, you can't get out of the wind. When I moved here in 2018 for work, I bought a Wahoo KICKR and put together a workout space with my old Ti Fierte, KICKR Climb, Bluetooth speakers, two big fans, and a 32" flat screen TV. It is always available.

We live in Wyoming in the summer and the road riding is awesome, no need for a trainer. We will likely move to Wyoming next spring, so I'll set the trainer up again since winter temps often begin with "negative."
Nice story.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
It's basically zwift, but a little worse. You can ride for free, but need to pay for racing.
Another difference (if it matters to you) is that instead of being run by capitalist investors trying to turn a profit, MyWhoosh is funded by an authoritarian government with a spotty record on human rights (UAE).
Old 05-08-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
I use to use Zwift but switched to Rouvy as I have to riding indoors a lot to take care of my wife who is ill. I enjoy riding the pro race routes each year while watching the races. I also ride with a c
Group of racers on courses during the week doing training rides.
How anyone rides on Zwift is beyond me me.
I tried Rouvy. I picked some Italian Seaside town route. Very nice. Rode it again a week later. I can't understand how you do that. I saw exactly the same thing at every turn that I saw the week before, including the old guy in his Speedo jumping out from between the cars. No thanks. That was worse than zwift, imo.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:

anyone use it?
Yes, mostly for Z2 stuff now, but always solo workouts. If you want to try it, I'd suggest the GO version first (might be only for PC's, not sure). It lacks the jumping cheerleaders and wandering livestock, but that's to reduce the demand on your video card. Seems to be solid. For my uses, it's every bit as good as Zwift. What it lacks, badly, is any sort of community. It's improving and perhaps it will improve more with the price increase, but there aren't many group rides. Nothing like Zwift.

And Like Mark says, there is a degree of sportswashing going on with MyWhoosh, but the world somehow survived LIV Golf and still thinks the Middle Eastern Governments are not good dudes, so my guess is MyWhoosh won't fool anyone, either.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I tried Rouvy. I picked some Italian Seaside town route. Very nice. Rode it again a week later. I can't understand how you do that. I saw exactly the same thing at every turn that I saw the week before, including the old guy in his Speedo jumping out from between the cars. No thanks. That was worse than zwift, imo.

I guess you didn’t look around much. As there are a million miles of routes on Rouvy and 2000 miles of routes added each week. There are always new roads. I rarely ride a route again unless it is used in a workout. As with any app you have to actually use it to understand the use of it.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Another difference (if it matters to you) is that instead of being run by capitalist investors trying to turn a profit, MyWhoosh is funded by an authoritarian government with a spotty record on human rights (UAE).
Right, which is why I would never pay for it. But if I just use the free version, I'm costing them money.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
It is *exactly* like Zwift in that regard. For example, in the Jungle Loop in Zwift, there's a monkey hanging down from the tree in the descent toward the entry to the Alpe climb - it's *always* there.

The visuals are static in both, the only thing that changes are the riders you'll encounter.

Rouvy has thousands of routes so there's little need to repeat one unless you really like it. I subscribed to Zwift for years but found that in a season where I was on the trainer a lot, after a time I knew where every rock, tree and butterfly was on all of the routes. Rouvy has so many routes I rarely repeat one unless it has a particular profile (distance, where the climbs are situated, etc) that I want to ride.

YMMV and all that.