Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 09:49 PM

Di2 question

I bought a late ‘21 S-Works Roubaix a couple of months ago. It has 9100 Di2 11-speed. My question is regarding charging and the battery.

I have charged it for -hours-. The battery symbol on my Wahoo Roam looks like it is about 90% charged, yet the next screen says it is only 60% charged.

No matter how much or how many times I charge it, it never goes beyond 60%.

Bike has about 8,000 miles on it, fwiw.

Is the battery wearing down? Or is the display reading inaccurate?

Any ideas/tips/suggestions are welcomed as this is my first time using Di2.

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2024, 11:12 PM

2021 is fairly "young" for a DI2 battery.

Can't comment on head-unit accuracy I'm afraid. I don't rely on that info FWIW.

To-date, having used 10s and 11s DI2 since 2014, I've been very impressed with the longevity of the DI2 batteries. 10yo batteries still last for months. I just charge them every 2 months or so before they go flat.

Does your setup have a junction box?
The LED flashes on junction box will give you another idea of battery capacity too.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:41 AM

I do have a junction box - didn’t know the flashes are a code of some kind! Thanks - I’ll Google that to see what I can learn.

What’s partially bugging me is that the charger will flash that it’s charging for several hours - then it stops charging. I’ll unplug it, reset it and it happens all over again.

Last night I plugged it back in, knowing it was at 60%, and went to bed.

Got up this morning and sure enough it had stopped charging… but now it’s at 70%.

Plugged it back in as I left to go to work… maybe it will bounce it up more again.

But seems to me the process to charge to 100% (or close) shouldn’t be this arduous?!? Grrrrrrr…

Gary

Old 05-09-2024, 07:28 AM

At worst, the battery is the one component that would be replaced. It is the brain of the system so to speak, so if it is acting funny like this, the rest of the wiring would likely not be the culprit.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:32 AM

Does Shimano have a native app (other than the old serial connection to a laptop)? If so, check battery status there.

If there's no native app, maybe take it to your LBS and have them check the firmware version and status on the laptop?

FWIW, my wife's old 10spd Di2 battery lasted for 6-7 years before it started losing noticeable capacity. This was an old external mount battery. Replacement wasn't too pricey, $50 or so maybe? I upgraded to 11spd at the same time, so don't remember the breakdown.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:34 AM

I may be confused by you saying “flashes” that it’s charging. It should be a solid light (orange-ish on all of mine) on the charger while it is charging and the light goes off when it is fully charged. On mine, if it flashes something is wrong and it’s not charging. 99 percent of the time it’s because the plug that I put the usb side of the Di2 wire into which then plugs into the wall outlet isn’t “powerful “ or whatever the right electrical term is for the amount of juice the charger needs. So I just switch to a different more amp (again I don’t know the electrical term) usb/ outlet plug and it’s good to go.

Last edited by htwoopup; 05-09-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:04 AM

Press and hold any of your shifting buttons for at least half a second. The colour and the amount of flashes of the junction box LED indicates how much charge is left.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
I may be confused by you saying “flashes” that it’s charging. It should be a solid light (orange-ish on all of mine) on the charger while it is charging and the light goes off when it is fully charged. On mine, if it flashes something is wrong and it’s not charging. 99 percent of the time it’s because the plug that I put the usb side of the Di2 wire into which then plugs into the wall outlet isn’t “powerful “ or whatever the right electrical term is for the amount of juice the charger needs. So I just switch to a different more amp (again I don’t know the electrical term) usb/ outlet plug and it’s good to go.

Yes, the orange charging light has an intermittent flash while charging. I’ve used 2 different wall mount USB chargers, same results with either of them.

Maybe I need a stronger charger?

Gary

Old 05-09-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazAd View Post
Yes, the orange charging light has an intermittent flash while charging. I’ve used 2 different wall mount USB chargers, same results with either of them.

Maybe I need a stronger charger?

Gary

I'll confirm that mine is also solid orange while charging and goes out once it reaches full charge.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
I'll confirm that mine is also solid orange while charging and goes out once it reaches full charge.

Thanks - sounds like my charger is the issue then. Amazon, here I come!

Gary

Old 05-10-2024, 04:23 AM

Make sure the ac plug adapter is correct amp per attachment. May be a possible root cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0454.jpg (59.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 05-12-2024, 02:23 PM

If you have the EW-WU111 inline wireless unit you can also connect with the Shimano e-Tube app to check the battery there and see if the reading is different. I have a Di2 battery that's 4 years old and still charges to 100%, I charge it every 3-4 months basically (riding about 12-16 hours a week at the moment).
Old 05-13-2024, 06:51 AM

Update: The new 18w USB-A charger (the strongest you can get, a Google search says) came in over the weekend.

As -soon- as I plugged it in last night the charging light went steady - first time for me - and it was at 100% this morning!

Thanks for the tips - I love this forum!

Gary