Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I refer to that specific part as a spindle and assumed most other Americans did as well.
Sounds right to me, but it sounds like the common way we use the terms is wrong in bicycling compared to engineering.

But web search is so bad I don't even feel like I trust any of the sites that came up.

I think the correct term might be different depending on the BB design.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:59 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

It's a bottom bracket spindle and a hub axle.
One spins freely, the other remains stationary.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:35 PM

I don't ride road any longer, but for the 30+ years I did, I only ever owned three bikes that were not Campy equipped:
1) A hand-me-down Diamondback with Shimano that I used as a foul weather/part time CX bike. Used it for 3 years, then it went to the next guy.
2) A 1980's Lotus Legend with the original Shimano 600 group set complete with Bio Pace chain rings. One of the nice old ones I wish I'd kept.
3) A Bridgestone 500 that came with a Suntour Cyclone II group set. That bike was converted to Campy Mirage after a few years of ownership.

Everything else has been Campy ranging from Veloce to Chorus. Seemed like I was always one of the very few guys in my cycling groups who rode Campy, and in the last few years of road riding I got a lot of perplexed looks from the younger crowd who had no knowledge of Campy. It was nice to have something a little different. I always thought their stuff was easy to set up and adjust and performed very well over the years.

My gut reaction to what looks like no presence in the WT, was "oh no!" However, I'm thinking this is a "wait and see what happens" situation. There are a few different directions this thing could go over the next few years.

I agree with some that it appears Campy might have lost their way, and if that's what truly has happened I hope they can turn it around. Also agree with the aging demographic of Campy enthusiasts. This could be a signal of the end of an era - but hopefully not.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Exactly this. Sometimes if a wheel wobbles people suggest it might be because of a bent axle. But a bent axle can't cause a wheel wobble, because the axle doesn't move at all - it is locked solidly to the frame.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
While this is the way I refer to the two bicycle parts, it's interesting that it's the opposite in the traditional RWD automotive world. Front spindles are fixed and rear axles turn.

As to the main topic, it's more concerning to me that the lower/mid level groups are disappearing than that no Pro Tour teams are going to be riding Campagnolo.

Last edited by oliver1850; 12-04-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:04 PM

Interesting article

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...fnK2lh79tp8YdE
Old 12-06-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
No need to yell at clouds, it is a fact. Campagnolo has definitely added to their troubles significantly by not differentiating themselves from other products on the market by making components no better looking than their competitors. I have been a huge Campagnolo fan over the years, but they have given me fewer and fewer reasons to “upgrade/update” and I have just doubled down on ten speed. Campagnolo has apparently decided to provide their version of what their competitors are making and in doing so they have done away with most of the arguments for their existence….sadly…
I would say that is true for road but for gravel, I thought what they did with EKAR was really good. New free hub that was backwards compatible. 13 speeds with great layout and design. New shifter with a greatly improved thumb button. Just a solid groupset.

They need to come out with road groupset with the EKAR mindset.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
The WW thread on Campag is informative in this regard.

I personally think the company have lost their way. Their buyer base is ageing fast, and their ability to attract new customers is limited by recent choices (no electronic groupset below 5k, no WT representation, virtually no OEM supply).

I also think their consistent and absolute refusal to address the fact there may be an issue is actually the biggest problem. I've said before that the Rolex analogy doesn't work, and I simply don't see the 'niche luxury' idea working out: they're just not aspirational for most buyers, now.

And I say all this with a heavy heart: I have had at least one Campag bike for over 20 years.

Others are welcome to disagree, of course, and I think there's still time to turn the ship round, but I sadly don't see it happening.
Geez, here we go again. I think the Rolex analogy is spot on..or Ducati, Or Aprilia..Premium brand..Not Seiko, not Yamaha or Suzuki.

The niche luxury idea has 'worked out' for a long time with Campagnolo. People are upset that Campag isn't like Shimano or sram..Campagnolo doesn't want to be everything to everybody...like sram and Shimano want to be.

As for trying to be like them, in terms of looks...chasing instead of leading..Campag was first to 10s, 11s, 12s..sram and Shimano chased. Campag has a GRoad dedicated 1 by 13 group, with the best brakes in the biz...but, it's Campagnolo, so......Campagnolo is 'chasing'.

Campag wheels are the best in the biz also but Campagnolo, so 'chasing'...

Geez, Shimano still, with all their BIG BUX, still doesn't have a wireless group...not much outrage out there.....

Campagnolo still sponsors quite a lot and often the WT sponsorship is a YUGE expense with very little ROI. Not much 'win on Sunday, buy in Monday'.

BUT, winter..I guess I missed the threads about the other things to kick around..not gonna get any new 's' tattoos.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

It should be mentioned, that any team's choices of sponsorship stuff is based entirely on $, support, as compared to others. NOT the goods and bads of the
stuff offered. sram, particularly and Shimano make offers that can't be refused but the fact remains, the expense of sponsorship is YUGE, with sometimes hard to measure ROI.

In the early days of sram road stuff, it was so awful, teams(like EF) dropped it and paid for Shimano groups. They seem to have gotten better at making reliable stuff..seemed..Prfetty easy with vans full of parts and legions of mechanics.

As mentioned, as with any advertising $, Campagnolo sees better places to put their $....the whole "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday"..is pretty thin...

MotoGP...Kawasaki and Suzuki no where to be seen...

As for right below..I don't have specific numbers but Campagnolo continues to grow. They ARE profitable. BUT with WT sponsorship..they offer what they offer to teams, the 's' brands have more lucrative offers, these are chosen..Not much emotion involved. Campagnolo doesn't get into bidding wars like Shimano and sram undoubtedly do as they see this expense more important than Campagnolo does.

Valentino still runs this private company altho he's getting pretty old...I've heard rumor his daughter is next in line.

Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels is VERY big in the wheel biz..VERY big.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-06-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:58 AM

everything here is speculation without knowing the #'s at the company. does anyone know that? who's running the company now via family ownership?

maybe they're fine and profitable. who knows, maybe they've even grown.

or maybe they're hurtin', via cutting expenses and world tour sponsorship.

do they have businesses other than cycling? meaning, specialty machining, fabrication, materials, design/engineering, etc.

meanwhile....the pinnacle of campy design....oh yeah!

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-06-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:17 AM

Campagnolo rules

I have been able to get cheap Campag on craigslist and have stocked my war chest. 10 speed.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 12-20-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:36 AM

observation; riding in the US I am basically the only one on our group rides still riding campy. While in Catalonia, 4-6 mos out of the year, about 40% of the folks in my group rides are on Campy.

Last edited by laupsi; 12-06-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Geez, here we go again…
I find these forecasts of Campy’s demise to be quite useful — they remind me to set my clock back one hour and check the batteries in my smoke detectors.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:16 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I find these forecasts of Campy’s demise to be quite useful — they remind me to set my clock back one hour and check the batteries in my smoke detectors.
POTD