Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 08:23 PM

FB: Marketplace going wild?

Anything odd going on with Facebook marketplace recently? I’ve sold a few bikes on there and it’s been relatively straightforward up until recently. Listed my mountain bike on it and have received over 100 inquiries on it, probably 20 offers, 3 good offers…but when ever going to set up time to meet am getting lame excuses as to why they can’t come see it. 95% of those inquiring appear to have interesting names that I rarely see. Are AI bots going nuts on the site? Trying to figure out what’s happening, no scams (yet) just so many interesting inquiries and offers before they come see it.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:49 PM

I've sold quite a few cars on FB mkt over the years. Initially, it completely took over from CL and was THE place to find/sell items. However, more recently, as its become more popular it has also become a hotbed for scammers (and general BS). I think that CL is slowly making a comeback (for cars at least). The $5 fee that is required completely cut out all the BS sellers. Of course, there are fewer items but at least you know they are all legit.

Good luck,
CJB
Old 05-07-2024, 06:44 AM

Facebook really doesn’t seem to care about scams so that seems likely.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:37 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve noticed my local CL volume has dropped dramatically so assumed it was all in FB.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
but when ever going to set up time to meet am getting lame excuses as to why they can’t come see it.
So I had something like that happen recently, selling a camera. The guy seemed local and had an account that wasnt created yesterday, he made a fair offer and we set a time to meet up.

The dude then was late, with a flurry of weird excuses - stuck in traffic, got lost/turned around, on a one-way street, his data plan wont let him do maps, I'm pulling up any minute - even sending a photo of an intersection about a miles away - and eventually I just left after 30 minutes. He messaged the next day saying he hadnt eaten and had gotten himself into a bad spot - i told him to take care of himself and agreed to meet him at lunch the next day, which turned into all the same stories and a no-show.

So I dont know if this was some sort of scam (if it is, whats the angle?), or just a weird one off. I've bought and sold what feels like a lot of stuff on the internet, FB, CL and rarely had a bad experience other than some weirdos and propositions.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
So I had something like that happen recently, selling a camera. The guy seemed local and had an account that wasnt created yesterday, he made a fair offer and we set a time to meet up.

The dude then was late, with a flurry of weird excuses - stuck in traffic, got lost/turned around, on a one-way street, his data plan wont let him do maps, I'm pulling up any minute - even sending a photo of an intersection about a miles away - and eventually I just left after 30 minutes. He messaged the next day saying he hadnt eaten and had gotten himself into a bad spot - i told him to take care of himself and agreed to meet him at lunch the next day, which turned into all the same stories and a no-show.

So I dont know if this was some sort of scam (if it is, whats the angle?), or just a weird one off. I've bought and sold what feels like a lot of stuff on the internet, FB, CL and rarely had a bad experience other than some weirdos and propositions.
Could this be a thief wanting to get you away from home so he can steal your property?
Old 05-07-2024, 11:00 AM

I've had similar experiences selling on FBM. I get a reply from a FB account that looks legit (local, decent activity, etc.) and most of the time either agrees to full price (possible red flag) or counter offers with something reasonable. When I reply to set up a time to look at the merch, they ghost me. Usually happens at least 10 times until someone eventually follows through and sets a time to look/buy and actually shows up.
I used to think "scammers", but how does the above scenario constitute a scam? The would-be scammer is getting nothing out of it. I get that a small percentage might be legit buyers who change their mind, but that many every time?
Irritating.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 05-07-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:05 AM

I love how many time I get the "is the item available?" message, then I confirm and hear crickets from there.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:07 AM

I only buy stuff from FB Marketplace never sell. Selling there is a huge headache because 1. The prices are much lower. 2. You have to take time to meet up with the buyers 3. the buyers might not even be real. 4. The yield is much lower than eBay or anywhere else.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Could this be a thief wanting to get you away from home so he can steal your property?
Unlikely he'd have my address, and, one one of the days he'd have had to deal with my Mom at home
Old 05-07-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Unlikely he'd have my address, and, one one of the days he'd have had to deal with my Mom at home
Is she a mean mother?
Old 05-07-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Is she a mean mother?
Definitely not, unless you're a rando walking into my house trying to steal my stuff.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I love how many time I get the "is the item available?" message, then I confirm and hear crickets from there.
Same here. Again, I have to wonder what's the point of doing that - if they're not bots. What is the benefit those people get from doing that?
Old 05-07-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
I've had similar experiences selling on FBM. I get a reply from a FB account that looks legit (local, decent activity, etc.) and most of the time either agrees to full price (possible red flag) or counter offers with something reasonable. When I reply to set up a time to look at the merch, they ghost me. Usually happens at least 10 times until someone eventually follows through and sets a time to look/buy and actually shows up.
I used to think "scammers", but how does the above scenario constitute a scam? The would-be scammer is getting nothing out of it. I get that a small percentage might be legit buyers who change their mind, but that many every time?
Irritating.
I wonder if this is you chatting with a bot? No idea why this would occur other than the bot seeking to glean as much information as possible or training the bot on human interaction. Effectively zero cost for the bot/Facebook, but gives them real world data on training the bot's underlying model....this is totally something I could see a tech company like FB doing and not telling users.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Same here. Again, I have to wonder what's the point of doing that - if they're not bots. What is the benefit those people get from doing that?
Since there's no friction to fire off that message with one click, I can see someone firing off dozens of them for the same/similar item they're looking for.

I know thats where most of the buying/selling is happening these days but holy **** what a horrible platform and interface.