Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
So I had something like that happen recently, selling a camera. The guy seemed local and had an account that wasnt created yesterday, he made a fair offer and we set a time to meet up.

The dude then was late, with a flurry of weird excuses - stuck in traffic, got lost/turned around, on a one-way street, his data plan wont let him do maps, I'm pulling up any minute - even sending a photo of an intersection about a miles away - and eventually I just left after 30 minutes. He messaged the next day saying he hadnt eaten and had gotten himself into a bad spot - i told him to take care of himself and agreed to meet him at lunch the next day, which turned into all the same stories and a no-show.

So I dont know if this was some sort of scam (if it is, whats the angle?), or just a weird one off. I've bought and sold what feels like a lot of stuff on the internet, FB, CL and rarely had a bad experience other than some weirdos and propositions.
The angle is usually: "my car is out of gas, can you send me $5 or $10 so I can fill it up to come complete the transaction." Not sure why they didn't try this on you, but I suspect it was coming if you continued the interaction.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:55 AM

I haven't had any of the many excuses, ask for cash scams, just lots of bots. Those are easy enough to spot after a while, so I just block and move on. No skin off my back, I consider part of the cost of doing business.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:27 PM

I don't use it a lot, but on occasion I sell something of FBM. So I'm not really familiar with it or the latest scams, hence looking for advice.

Earlier today I listed a 72" mid mount (PTO) mower deck for a John Deere 3 Series tractor. Not exactly your everyday item.

I very quickly got a message via Facebook Messenger from someone who wanted to pick it up now and asked that I text her.

Not really willing to go outside of FBM, I messaged her back stating that she could pick it up now, cash only.

As shown in the pics I posted it's just sitting down the side road to the barn and I suppose that anyone could come steal it in the middle of the night, but they'd probably have to have something rather noisy to pick it up and load it. I guess that it could fit in an everyday pickup truck in a cockeyed way, but it's HEAVY.

She has no posts or any other activity in FB, although she joined in 2004. That was a few minutes ago. I tried to look again, and FB tells me that "This content isn't available right now". Not sure if that's a sign of a scam or FB is having issues.

Does this sound like a scam?

If this is too much of a drift or hijack, mods please make it a separate thread.

Last edited by reuben; 05-07-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I don't use it a lot, but on occasion I sell something of FBM. So I'm not really familiar with it or the latest scams, hence looking for advice.

Earlier today I listed a 72" mid mount (PTO) mower deck for a John Deere 3 Series tractor. Not exactly your everyday item.

I very quickly got a message via Facebook Messenger from someone who wanted to pick it up now and asked that I text her.

Not really willing to go outside of FBM, I messaged her back stating that she could pick it up now, cash only.

As shown in the pics I posted it's just sitting down the side road to the barn and I suppose that anyone could come steal it in the middle of the night, but they'd probably have to have something rather noisy to pick it up and load it. I guess that it could fit in an everyday pickup truck in a cockeyed way, but it's HEAVY.

She has no posts or any other activity in FB, although she joined in 2004. That was a few minutes ago. I tried to look again, and FB tells me that "This content isn't available right now". Not sure if that's a sign of a scam or FB is having issues.

If this is too much of a drift or hijack, mods please make it a separate thread.
Absolutely a scam.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post

Absolutely a scammmer. She has made her profile “unavailable” after her initial contact, there’s NO legitimate reason for that. I admin a couple private Facebook groups, and on the rare occasions that we get scam posts, the author is always “unavailable”. They get booted immediately.

Funny story, I had replaced my kitchen sink a year or two ago, and there’s a local “free only” Facebook group (presumably for poor people). Anyhow, I put the old, but fully functional sink and faucet on there. I must’ve gotten 6 or 7 folks that wanted it, but not a ONE followed through to come get it. A couple of them wanted me to deliver! On a lark, I posted it on marketplace for $14.00 and within an hour, had a guy drive to my house and paid cash. Go figure.