Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 09:27 AM
n - 1

Do insulated bottles actually work?

I’m looking to buy a whole new lot of bottles as the ones I have are 2+ years old and taste like plastic 10 min into the ride.

I’ll most likely buy a few Purist bottles (or any other suggestions for ~24-26oz bottles with no plastic taste welcome).

But I’m also thinking of trying out an insulated bottle. I wonder how well they work (and is it worth giving up the volume). I don’t mind a warm sip of water but rides in late July/August, it’d be nice for a nice, cold gulp of water.

I see a few with decent reviews. Polar, Camelbak, etc. Any favorites?
Old 05-09-2024, 09:33 AM

I like CamelBak for their valve more than anything else. But broadly haven't found much of a reason for an insulated bottle while riding.

Matter of preference, but I'd rather have the extra liquid in the same space, than for it to be cold
Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’m looking to buy a whole new lot of bottles as the ones I have are 2+ years old and taste like plastic 10 min into the ride.

I’ll most likely buy a few Purist bottles (or any other suggestions for ~24-26oz bottles with no plastic taste welcome).

But I’m also thinking of trying out an insulated bottle. I wonder how well they work (and is it worth giving up the volume). I don’t mind a warm sip of water but rides in late July/August, it’d be nice for a nice, cold gulp of water.

I see a few with decent reviews. Polar, Camelbak, etc. Any favorites?
I consider them a must around here. Over 100 degree summer days will still melt your ice within an hour or so. You will at least have cool water on extended rides rather than bathwater.

Camelbak have been the best I have tried, polar is the only other brand I have tried, but they don't seem to insulate as well, at least in my experience.

I wish Stanley should enter the insulated cycling bottle arena.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:36 AM

Podium chill are nice if you don't like drinking hot water. If you use a purist on a hot day you might as well add a tea bag.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:37 AM

We use Camelbak Podium bottles and I throw half a dozen ice cubes in when I fill them with cold tap water. Cubes are gone before we ride. They are slightly better than non-insulated but, as mjf said, I like them for their valves.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:41 AM

Yes, they definitely make a difference! For the hot summer days, I fill one bottle about 3/4 full, and one about 1/2 way and freeze them the night before. Then top them with Luke warm before heading out. Nice and cold water, all day!
Old 05-09-2024, 09:43 AM

If you want a bottle that keeps drinks cool the longest, and has no plastic taste at all, consider stainless steel vacuum insulated bottles like the Bivo Trio bottles.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:49 AM

They eliminate sweat and work for a couple hours when loaded with ice but have their limits. I’ve not noticed any difference in performance across brands.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:56 AM

Been using insulated bottles for a long time now.

I tried the first gen Camelbak but didn't like the valve.

I have Polar and Elite.
I prefer the Polar cuz it has a valve I can disassemble for a thorough cleaning when needed.
The Elite one opens and closes by twisting the entire cap which is annoying but I kept it. It's insulated with a sheet of cork.

If not using ice cubes, I freeze the bottle at an angle so there's more surface area exposed to the water. When I would freeze half the bottle standing up, I'd finish the water too fast and the remaining ice wouldn't melt fast enough for me to have water to drink.

The Bivos were on sale here at a shop but not the stainless ones. I didn't want to get the painted ones and have it get all scratched up against my King Ti cages. If the insulated stainless goes on sale I'll try it out.
The Bivo valves are also more complicated to allow flow like a straw so that's another turn off.

I like my valves simple and cleanable. Pull with your mouth/teeth to open. Knock it against your thigh to close.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 AM

Just as a fyi, I got a email from Polar a few days ago, they were running a BOGO sale, I'm not sure if it's still on or not, but worth a look.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:21 AM

Camelbak insulated in winter (with a hot drink) - it'll keep the liquid warm for a bit (30 min?), but it won't keep it hot and it'll eventually be cold.

I haven't tried ice in summer.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Just as a fyi, I got a email from Polar a few days ago, they were running a BOGO sale, I'm not sure if it's still on or not, but worth a look.
The BOGO only applies to "sport" bottles, which are apparently not the same as their "cycling" bottles. Only visual difference seems to be a loop handle on the sport bottles and more limited size/color options.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
The BOGO only applies to "sport" bottles, which are apparently not the same as their "cycling" bottles. Only visual difference seems to be a loop handle on the sport bottles and more limited size/color options.
Yeah I was wondering what the difference was between them.
That handle can easily be removed.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:09 AM

I use them year round.

Elite Nano ICE fly something or other...

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 05-09-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
They eliminate sweat and work for a couple hours when loaded with ice but have their limits. I’ve not noticed any difference in performance across brands.
Came to say that these do work quite well