Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I hardly ever sell my old bikes, so I’m probably not typical, but I would never sell a well-loved Moots (Parlee, Seven, IF etc.) for $2k.
Agree!
Old 05-09-2024, 04:36 PM
hoolered

Damn that reminds me...my moops RULES. Never gonna give you up and so on.

Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 PM

I do not get the logic. There must be plenty of people who have a Moots and want to sell it but do not want to spend thousands of dollars (albeit $2000 less than msrp) on a new five figure Moots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Suddenly used frame prices for moots have a floor of 2k regardless of the year haha.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 PM

Soooo

How do i get in line for the USED stuff thats gonna flood them
Old 05-09-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I do not get the logic. There must be plenty of people who have a Moots and want to sell it but do not want to spend thousands of dollars (albeit $2000 less than msrp) on a new five figure Moots.
I think the idea is that if someone who does not have a Moots wants to buy one, that person would pay $2000 on any old used Moots just to get the discount.

That applies up to a point, but there are transaction costs, so I don't think we'll actually see a floor of $2,000, but it should put some upward pricing pressure on older/less desirable Moots bikes/frames.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:19 PM

Ahhh...makes sense. Though it looks like a whole lotta trouble to save a couple hundies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I think the idea is that if someone who does not have a Moots wants to buy one, that person would pay $2000 on any old used Moots just to get the discount.

That applies up to a point, but there are transaction costs, so I don't think we'll actually see a floor of $2,000, but it should put some upward pricing pressure on older/less desirable Moots bikes/frames.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Wonder what will become of the traded in frames? Would be cool to see them back on the market from Moots with a factory refresh. Not sure how much meat is on the bone for them to make any money at that though.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:14 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Wonder what will become of the traded in frames? Would be cool to see them back on the market from Moots with a factory refresh. Not sure how much meat is on the bone for them to make any money at that though.
They cover this at the end:

Some of the Trade Up bikes end up in our museum here in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Others get refurbished and are placed in retail partner locations, or collaboration projects with some of our favorite companies. In short, they tell a story that can be shared across the world!

In short they intend to use the historically important or pretty ones as museum pieces or display items for retail. Who knows about the rest but to your point I doubt very much they want to become the Moots-only version of TPC. This is a more brand-friendly way to run a discount program.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I think the logic is this:

Moots are thought of as forever bikes, but Moots is trying to lure current owners into new ones with an incentive to make the move.

This incentive makes sense for items that are sold as lifetime ownership: while lifetime ownership helps sell me my first Moots, this help sell the next one.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:36 PM

Sales

Seems like all the new stuff is on sale. Now even the creme de la creme - Moots. Looks like they are going for the low hanging fruit - the ultra committed who might "upgrade." I think they must be seeing low demand.
I still maintain that ebikes are a major competition as committed bikers age into them. I also think there is much lower demand for normal bikes and precious little demand for rim brake bikes although I think used rim brake bike prices are often very optimistic.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:39 PM

Can you trade in a 58cm and get a 50cm?

The no dents/cracks thing is interesting too...especially when they keep banging the "Moots are built to last a lifetime" drum.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Can you trade in a 58cm and get a 50cm?

The no dents/cracks thing is interesting too...especially when they keep banging the "Moots are built to last a lifetime" drum.
I sort of took that to mean no frames that have been wrecked in a crash. Yeah, I suppose some could just develop cracks on their own, but frames don't spontaneously dent.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Suddenly used frame prices for moots have a floor of 2k regardless of the year haha.
Only for the handful of people looking to pay full retail for a Moots - and only if they want to gain zero value from buying a used frame and trading it in.. and let's be honest, anyone with the $$ to pay full retail for the bike probably doesn't need the $2K credit or the hassle of buying something used. The economics of it all tilt toward a feel-good advertising strategy with little substance.

tl;dr - markets don't work that way.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:26 AM

It's only a deal worth considering if you actually want what's on offer in one of their complete bike options. The target audience would seem to be the Moots owner who wants the latest and greatest, but isn't really concerned about price or specific components and doesn't want to bother with the hassle of selling a used bike.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:45 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
It's only a deal worth considering if you actually want what's on offer in one of their complete bike options. The target audience would seem to be the Moots owner who wants the latest and greatest, but isn't really concerned about price or specific components and doesn't want to bother with the hassle of selling a used bike.
I agree and I can see the attraction if I was in that audience. Plenty of other things in life are complicated, and bike upgrades are pretty easy to put off, but this seems simple.